At the Franklin Victorian Bed and Breakfast in Sparta, Wisconsin we always are trying to provide our biking guests a healthy breakfast that will help them concur the Elroy-Sparta Bike Trail. Here are 7 ways to help you in fixing your healthier breakfast at home.
1. Substitute plain yogurt or pureed low-fat cottage cheese for half or more of the sour cream in a recipe.
2. If a recipe calls for cheese, choose Swiss cheese for the lowest sodium.
3. Add a little oatmeal to pancakes, muffins or quick breads. You may also need to add a little extra liquid.
4. Add Vegetables. Add shredded vegetable like carrots, zucchini or pumpkin to quick breads, muffins or cakes.
5. To cut down on salt. You can reduce salt by a quarter to a half of what is called for in a recipe. Increase other salt-free spices and seasoning to add flavor.
6. Substitute skim milk in recipes. If the recipe calls for water, use skim milk instead to add calcium.
7. Honey and real maple syrup are healthier options for sweetening that processed sugar.
Here are 7 ways to a healthier breakfast and there are many more ways to serve healthy breakfasts at home.