Canoeing, Kayaking & Hiking near Our Wisconsin Inn
Sparta City Parks– Open to the public.
Kickapoo River: This river is a paradise for canoeists and outdoor enthusiasts because of its easy access, laid-back pace, and beautiful scenery. A scenic canoe or kayak trip down the Kickapoo River has become a very popular weekend activity. The shallow, gently flowing river is perfect for beginner trips, with sections that are challenging enough for experienced canoeists as well.
- Titanic Canoe Rental – Please note that they do not take credit cards – cash and checks are accepted. 608-337-4551
- Mr. Duck Canoe Rental: 608-337-4711
- Drifty’s Canoe Rental: 608-337-4288
- Elliston Canoe & Kayak Rentals, Call: Dan at 608-487-5114, Brandon at 608-343-5696. Enjoy the scenic La Crosse River, from Hwy 16 take J toward Rockland and Watch for Sign.
- Black River Express Canoe & Kayak Rentals: 608-488-7017. Offers canoeing or kayaking on the Black River. The many sandbars along the way will add fun and relaxation to your trip! Shuttles to and from landing included with rental fees. Located in Melrose, WI. Ontario, WI
- Kickapoo Yacht Club: 608-625-4395 and 608-625-2071. Located halfway between Rockton and LaFarge on Highway 131. Canoe rentals available 7 days a week, and shuttle service is provided for those with their own canoes. Email reservations can be made from the website.
Wildcat Mountain State Park: Located above the Kickapoo River valley, Wildcat Mountain State Park offers horseback riding and hiking, complete with some amazing views. The park’s 3,603 acres, mostly wooded, contain 25.8 miles of hiking trails including 15.0 miles of horse trails, 17.5 miles of trails for snowshoeing, 7.0 miles of cross-country ski trails, 1.3 miles of interpretive nature trail, 0.4 miles of trail accessible for people with disabilities. The Park features a nature center and interpretive program, picnic facilities, fishing, and opportunities for bird and wildlife watching.
Kickapoo Valley Reserve: 608-625-2960. Located in the heart of the Driftless Area in La Farge, WI, the ridges and valleys carved by the Kickapoo River offer spectacular scenery. The Kickapoo Valley Reserve is open year-round for recreation, education and special events. It is a truly amazing place to discover!
5-stars! A must Bucket List see!
The Necedah National Wildlife Refuge is working to preserve and restore the landscape that serves as the habitat for more than 110 species of migratory birds. With many wonderful hiking paths of all levels, this refuge is truly an amazing place!